The world of eSports has grown significantly in recent years, and one of the most popular games for online play and tournaments is DotA 2 (also known as Defense of the Ancients 2). Classified as a MOBA—or multiplayer online battle arena—this title takes place in a fantasy world where a pair of five-player teams control powerful heroes and attempt to destroy each other’s heavily-guarded structures.
DotA 2 betting may seem daunting at first, but it’s actually no different than wagering on any other sporting event. It’s simply a matter of analysis and intuition, with a little blind luck thrown in for good measure. If you’re in need of something new to wager on, this still-growing pastime could be just what you’ve been looking for.
Our Top Recommended Dota 2 Betting Sites
|Bovada review||Bet NowBovada|| 50% bonus up to $250|
|Sportsbetting.ag review||Bet NowSportsBetting.ag|| 75% bonus up to $1,000|
|BetOnline review||Bet NowBetOnline|| 50% bonus up to $2,500|
How to Wager on DotA 2
A decade ago, you might have run into some difficulty when trying to bet on DotA 2. That’s no longer the case, as the increased demand for eSports wagering has led a number of sportsbooks to get in on the action.
The important steps involve (a) finding a book that offers wagers on DotA 2 and (b) making sure that the sportsbook is reliable. Once you’ve accomplished these two goals, all you have to do is locate a promising wager and place your order.
Types of Bets
The most common form of bet for Defense of the Ancients 2 is picking the outright winner of a match. This is usually expressed in the form of a moneyline wager, although a point spread may be used if the oddsmaker feels that one team deserves a handicap.
Just like with any other sport, the available wagers can vary wildly from there. You might have the option of betting the over/under for total kills, or you may be presented with a future wager for the champion of an upcoming tournament.
An increasing number of sportsbooks are also offering live betting, allowing punters to place wagers while a game is actually in progress. This presents a unique challenge, but it also allows for quick-thinking bettors to make adjustments and analyze the flow of a match.
Importance of Knowing the Teams
One of the crucial elements for successful DotA betting is the ability to study and understand the various teams. Just like a squad in any other sport, these individuals bring unique talents and problems to the table, and each can play a major role once the competition begins.
For starters, let’s look at a few of the top-ranked teams in competitive DotA 2 play. These are the sorts of names you’re likely to see at an online bookmaker, so it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with them.
- Evil Geniuses Dota2 – This team comes from the United States, and they have over 365 wins in competitive play. Their overall winrate is 63%, and their current lineup consists of Fear, Universe, Peterpandam, Sumail_, and Arteezy.
- OG – This European team has 58 wins in competitive play, with an all-time winrate of 69%. Their team members include Miracle_jr, BigDaddy-N0tail, MoonMeander, Cr1t-, and Fly-Simba.
- Alliance – Based in Sweden, this veteran team has more than 400 wins under their belt, with a total winrate of 62%. Members include Loda, Akke, AdmiralBullog, s4, and EGM.
- EHOME – The 52% winrate of this Chinese team isn’t as high as some of their competition, but their 171 career matches make them a tough test for anyone. Members include LaNm, oldchicken, eLeVeN, iceiceice, and Fenrir.
- Team Secret – This team comes from Europe, and they’ve accumulated over 150 victories and a lifetime winrate of 74%. Team members include Puppey, MiSeRy-, pieliedie, w33haaa, and EternalEnvy.
Overall player skills tends to be more predictable, while team chemistry can fluctuate depending on a number of factors. By learning as much as you can about a team and its individuals members, you give yourself the best chance of spotting betting lines that give you an edge.
Rosters changes and the amount of practice time are crucial pieces of information to have. If a team has recently changed their roster, I suggest refraining from betting on them until you see what the latest lineup has to offer. A new team often takes a while to gel, as the recent addition has to learn to adapt to the group’s style of play and communication.
The Role of Patches
Patches are updates that add new items, heroes, and rules to the gaming world. This can be a major boon for sharp bettors, as patches can introduce volatility that might be overlooked by less astute gamblers.
When patches are introduced prior to a tournament, it can alter the expected results significantly. One team may adapt to these changes faster than their opposition, so it’s always wise to look for big handicaps in order to capitalize on this fact. If you enjoy betting on the underdog, a post-patch tournament is a good time to do it.
During a tournament, several different match formats may be used. In order to increase your overall knowledge of the sport, here’s a brief rundown:
- BO1 – Best of 1. The first team to win a game is declared the overall victor. These formats can be unpredictable, as a superior team that gets off to a bad start doesn’t have extra games to mount a comeback. If you’re searching for underdogs, this format offers the greatest opportunity.
- BO2 – Best of 2. These offer a safer betting option than BO1 if you want to wager on favorites, although they occur less frequently.
- BO3 – Best of 3. Used in the middle part of a tournament, these are safe bets for those looking to wager on a favorite.
- BO5 – Best of 5. This format is normally only seen in the finals. Heavy underdogs aren’t usually a good bet, as the stronger (and favored) team has plenty of room for error.
- BO7 – Best of 7. A rare format and relatively safe betting option for those wagering on the favorite.
DotA 2 betting is relatively new, so serious gamblers have a chance to pick up a lot of cash. One of the biggest advantages is that most oddsmakers are going to be ill-informed about eSports, allowing the astute punter to find edges at a much higher rate than with traditional sporting events.
It still requires a lot of work, though, as the world of eSports is a culture unto itself. There’s tons of insider jargon to absorb, as well as decidedly non-athletic players and customs that old-school types may find ridiculous. However, for those with discipline and the willingness to wade through a certain amount of Internet nonsense, betting on DotA 2 can be a lucrative proposition.