Open since 1996, Net Entertainment (NetEnt) has truly withstood the test of time in online gaming.
They’ve outlasted many companies that started at the same time as them and currently offer the world’s best internet gaming software.
This brings us to an important question: what makes NetEnt so great?
Below, you’ll find 23 different reasons that combine to explain why Net Entertainment is on top of the gaming world.
1 – NetEnt Features Huge Slots Jackpots
NetEnt offers some of the largest slots jackpots in the online gaming industry. Here’s a look at their largest progressive jackpots at the time of this writing:
- Hall of Gods – €6,047,470
- Mega Fortune Dreams – €3,738,637
- Mega Fortune – €3,126,526
- Arabian Nights – €2,016,337
- Divine Fortune Mega – €201,964
Microgaming’s Mega Moolah is the only game that consistently offers a larger jackpot than Hall of Gods and Mega Fortune Dreams.But not even Microgaming can live up to the multiple 7-figure jackpots that NetEnt offers.
Given that NetEnt features four multi-million-dollar jackpots, it’s no wonder why they’ve created so many millionaires over the years.
2 – They Have a Great Live Dealer Casino
Live dealer gaming has been around since the mid-2000s. And NetEnt didn’t join the party until 2013, when they finally launched a live dealer casino.
But despite being such a late entry, NetEnt has already become a force in this sector.
The interface and streaming quality are the two aspects that stand out regarding NetEnt’s live dealer casino.
The interface is different from what you normally see in the industry. Specifically, the table takes up the entire bottom half of the screen, and you can customize backgrounds to include everything from mansions to a regular casino setting.
The stream quality is crisp and in real-time, making NetEnt’s live dealer experience feel more authentic. You can also look forward to attractive and charismatic dealers.
Variety is the one thing that NetEnt could improve about their live dealer casino because they only offer different variations of blackjack and roulette. But if you like these games, then you’re going to love the way that NetEnt presents them.
3 – NetEnt Created Gonzo’s Quest Slots
Quest follows a Spanish conquistador on his quest to discover El Dorado. While the story isn’t entirely unique, what stands out about this slot is its graphics and tumbling reels.
The 3D graphics, which truly bring Gonzo and the background to life, were far ahead of their time. In fact, you can play Gonzo’s Quest today and feel like you’re playing a modern slot.
This was one of the first games to use tumbling reels, where winning symbols disappear and allow new symbols to form – thus giving you the chance to earn consecutive wins in the same turn.
Consecutive wins have even more significance because you can earn a multiplier up to 5x when the tumbling reels help you form new wins.
Other than the graphics and its place in history, Gonzo’s Quest doesn’t have any outstanding features. But its high-quality design and innovation have earned Gonzo’s Quest a place in gaming history.
4 – Their Slots Have Really High Payback
No company gives you a better chance to win in online slots than NetEnt. They regularly offer slots with payback at 96% and above.
Below you can see the NetEnt slots with the highest return to player (RTP):
- Mega Joker – 99% RTP
- Jackpot 6000 – 98.8% RTP
- Blood Suckers – 98.0% RTP
- Fishy Fortune – 97.90% RTP
- Kings of Chicago – 97.80% RTP
- Devil’s Delight – 97.60% RTP
- Simsalabim – 97.50% RTP
What I like about this list, beyond the high payback, is that each game brings a unique angle.
Mega Joker and Jackpot 6000 are both unique 3-reel slots that feature two sets of reels – one for regular play, and the other for Supermeter mode.
The great thing about Mega Joker and Jackpot 6000 is their extremely high payback. But the catch is that you need to make the max bet in order to qualify for the top RTP.
Blood Suckers is the most-entertaining slot on this list, and we’ll discuss it further in point #8. Fishy Fortune, Devil’s Delight, and Simsalabim are also fun 5-reel slots with solid graphics.
Kings of Chicago is a unique video poker slot, where the symbols are a deck of cards.
If you’re not prepared to make max bets on Mega Joker and Jackpot 6000, then I suggest playing any of the five games listed below them.
5 – NetEnt is Found at Numerous Online Casinos
NetEnt is easily one of the most-widespread operators in the gaming industry. Their games are found in hundreds of online casinos, meaning you’ll never have to search far to find NetEnt products.
The best way to find out if a casino offers NetEnt games is to visit their jackpot slots section. Once here, look for games like Arabian Nights, Cosmic Fortune, Divine Fortune, Hall of Games, and Mega Fortune.
Another way to find out is by looking at the bottom of a casino homepage. Often, they’ll feature the NetEnt seal if they offer their games.
Wherever you find NetEnt products, you can look forward to hundreds of games spread out across the slots, live dealer, and table game categories.
6 – Their Games are Extremely Well Designed
NetEnt hasn’t risen to the top of the online gaming world because they’re lucky. Instead, it’s because they design some of the best products found in online casinos.
Everything begins with their slots selection, which is full of high-quality games. Some of my favorite NetEnt slots include the following:
- Alien Robots
- Aloha! Cluster Pays
- Blood Suckers
- Cosmic Fortune
- Creature from the Black Lagoon
- Dead or Alive
- Divine Fortune
- Fairytale Legends: Hansel & Gretel
- Gonzo’s Quest
- Guns N’ Roses
- Hall of Gods
- Jungle Spirit: Call of the Wild
- Koi Princess
- Secrets of Christmas
- Spinata Grande
- Warlords: Crystals of Power
- Wild Wild West: The Great Train Heist
I won’t say that every NetEnt slot is a winner because they have duds just like other companies. But NetEnt has so much to like that I’d choose them over anybody if I could only play games from a single provider.
As for the list above, I enjoy the overall presentation that NetEnt brings to each of these slots. Here are a few examples:
- Creature from the Black Lagoon – Based on a 1954 movie of the same name, this slot creates a lot of emotions through its music and graphics. You can feel the danger, beauty of the Amazon jungle, and vintage movie atmosphere all at once.
- Divine Fortune – Featuring mythical creatures like Medusa, the Minotaur, and Pegasus, this slot puts a unique spin on the Greek mythology genre. The music shifts between dramatic and eerie, which does a good job of creating a serious atmosphere.
- Dracula – This slot opens with a bang, as Dracula chases a young woman through the streets at night. The main game’s theatrics are just as good since Dracula lunges at the screen and changes form while you’re spinning.
- Jungle Spirit: Call of the Wild – Jungle Spirit seems like just another wild animal slot at first. But it separates itself from similar games through colorful graphics, authentic jungle sounds, and a quality background.
- Koi Princess – This is a fun anime-style game that takes place near a koi pond. I like the Asian-style music, cherry blossoms in the background, and anime character standing to the left of the screen. The features are also good, including nudge and a prize wheel.
- Victorious – Victorious takes on another popular slots genre in Ancient Rome. This game stands out from the pack based on its cartoon-style graphics and dramatic music.
7 – NetEnt Releases Games on a Regular Basis
NetEnt is already one of the world’s largest gaming providers, offering hundreds of options to choose from. But NetEnt doesn’t rest on their laurels because they’re continually churning out new games every month.
You can expect them to release at least 1-2 new slots each month – if not more. NetEnt not only creates excitement with their frequent releases but also stays relevant and at the forefront of gaming news.
Given all of the new releases that NetEnt offers every year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see their gaming library reach the thousands someday.
8 -They Created Blood Suckers
Blood Suckers is arguably NetEnt’s second-biggest hit behind Gonzo’s Quest. Released in 2009, this bone-chilling slot mixes gore, interesting bonuses, and 3D graphics to create the perfect horror-themed game.
Blood Suckers features several memorable vampires, including Count Dracula, Bride of Dracula, a gypsy vampire, elegant vampire, transformed (green) vampire, and demon vampire. You’ll also see many stereotypical items used to defeat these creatures, including a bible, garlic, holy water, and a hammer & stake.
The animations are good in this game, including Dracula biting a young woman’s neck and the Bride of Dracula flaying towards the screen.
The bonus round is another highlight since it takes you into a coffin-filled chamber, where you stab as many vampires with a wooden stake as possible.
Personally, I think that Blood Suckers has too much gore. But then again, I’m not a big horror movie fan.
As long as you’re not a gore-a-phobic, then you’ll find this to be a timeless slot.
You should also consider the sequel, Blood Suckers 2, which was released in 2017. This 5-reel slot takes you inside of a castle, where a hunter is tracking down vampires.
I’m disappointed with the sequel because the graphics aren’t upgraded and the atmosphere is worse than the original. But what I do like is Blood Suckers 2’s features, which include a treasure-finding bonus round that looks far better than Blood Sucker’s coffin round.
This alone makes Blood Suckers 2 worth trying if you’re a fan of the original game.
9 – NetEnt is One of the Oldest Online Gaming Companies
NetEnt has some of the oldest roots among any online gaming company.
Their story begins with Bill Lindwall and Rolf Lundstrom, who founded AB Restaurang Rouletter in 1963.
The Swedish partners would eventually form a larger company with Per Hamberg and Lars Kling’s AB Roulette Consult & Spelautomater in 1968.
Following three successful decades in the gaming world, Bill Lindwall’s son, Pontus Lindwall, launched NetEnt in 1996.
NetEnt was one of the early pioneers of online gaming, and they helped further the industry through their innovation.
They were also one of the first companies to attain mainstream success. As a testament to this, NetEnt was listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange in 2009.
10 – NetEnt Features the “Rock Series”
In 2016, NetEnt added another milestone to their history by launching the Rock Series. What ensued was the release of three games: Guns N’ Roses, Jimi Hendrix, and Motörhead.
NetEnt is the first company to dive into the rock-and-roll genre and do everything right.
Not only have they done a good job with the graphics, but they’ve also included features and backgrounds that perfectly exemplify the musicians.
Here’s what features to expect from each slot:
- Guns N’ Roses – My favorite thing about this game is how you can change songs at any time. Available tunes include Chinese Democracy, November Rain, Paradise City, Sweet Child o’ Mine, and Welcome to the Jungle. The Appetite for Destruction Wild is also cool since it features a cross-shaped wild symbol.
- Jimi Hendrix –While I don’t like this game as much as GNR, it’s still well-designed with a psychedelic background and interesting features. Regarding the latter, you can get Red Guitar Re-Spins, Pick and Click, and Crosstown Traffic Spins. The latter sees Hendrix’s guitar fill a reel with wild symbols.
- Motörhead –Motörhead features a 3-3-4-4-5 reel setup and 76 paylines, which already makes it different from most online slots. Throw in the band’s hard rock style, and this is certainly a good game for any hard rock fan.
11 – Software Offered in a Number of Different Languages
Countless players across the globe can enjoy NetEnt games because their software is supported in many different languages. Below you can see the available languages:
12 – They’re Licensed and Regulated
NetEnt currently has licenses with eight different gaming jurisdictions, which is more than most software providers.
Here are the eight licenses they hold at the time of this writing:
- Alderney Gambling Control Commission (AGCC) – Launched in 2000, Alderney is an independent member of the British Crown, which gives them permission to have their own gaming jurisdiction. The AGCC is one of the world’s more-respected licensing jurisdictions.
- Belgium Gaming Control Commission (BGCC) – Belgium’s online gaming industry is relegated to their population of 11.29 million. Despite being one of the smaller jurisdictions, they have strict requirements for operator entry.
- Gibraltar Gambling Commissioner (GGC) – Nicknamed “The Rock,” Gibraltar has long been one of the most-reputable gaming licensers. They have strict requirements on issuing licenses and help work out customer-casino disputes.
- Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) – Malta is an elite gaming jurisdiction that licenses many of the top European online casinos. They not only have rigid licensing standards, but also work to ensure that casinos practice fair gaming.
- New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE) – While the DGE has been regulating the New Jersey casino industry for years, they’re one of the newest online gaming jurisdictions. Nevertheless, they also have strict rules in place and are backed by the New Jersey government.
- Romania (Oficiul Național pentru Jocuri de Noroc) – Romania charges a steep annual operating fee of 400,000 lei ($100,000) to gaming operators. The reward is access to the country’s 19.83 million residents.
- Spain (La Dirección General de Ordenación del Juego) – Spain charges one of the highest online gaming tax rates at 25%. But NetEnt must have felt that the cost justified having access to Spain’s 46.56 million people.
- UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) – The UKGC assumed duties for the country’s regulated online gaming market in 2014. Since then, they’ve quickly risen to become an elite gaming licenser.
13 – NetEnt Is Certified by Multiple Auditors
One of the primary requirements to get into many of the markets we discussed above involves having third-party software verification. And NetEnt has achieved this from both eCommerce Online Gaming Regulation and Assurance (eCOGRA) andTechnical Systems Testing(TST).
You can see more information on both gaming laboratories below:
- eCOGRA – Founded in 2003, eCOGRA has become the premier testing facility with regard to ensuring fair gaming and payback percentages. This independent lab works to ensure multiple goals, including protecting vulnerable customers, preventing underage gaming, and ensuring customer privacy. Most casinos that receive an eCOGRA seal are highly trusted operations.
- TST – Although TST doesn’t have the name recognition of eCOGRA, they’ve gained a large amount of respect over the past few years. In fact, they’re one of the few labs that Malta has approved for testing.
14 – NetEnt Has One of the Best YouTube Channels
I haven’t seen one internet gaming company compare to NetEnt with regard to their YouTube channel.
NetEnt not only does a good job of releasing game previews and relevant news, but they also offer fun content as well.
One example is “The Challenge,” which features a small group of NetEnt employees trying to climb a mountain in the European Alps.
They also feature inside looks at the company, which discuss their commitment to innovation.
These aren’t my favorite pieces because they come off as a bit glamorized. Even still, some NetEnt fans may like seeing the process that the company goes through when creating games.
One thing that everybody can appreciate is the slots previews and live dealer footage. I check out their YouTube channel at least once a month to see their upcoming slots.
15 – They Created Starburst
Another NetEnt slots hit is Starburst, which is a 5-reel, 10-line game that combines classic and advanced slots elements.
The classic elements are seen in the symbols, which include a 7, BAR, and several jewels.
The modern elements come from expanding wilds and how you can win both ways.Regarding the latter, the multi-colored star expands to cover an entire reel any time that it hits the reels.
What really makes this slot shine is its 3D graphics, background, and music.
The graphics and background combine to create the feeling that the jewels are floating through outer space. The music is a mysterious tune that’s pleasant to listen to while you play.
One downside to this game is that its theme won’t blow you away. But this can easily be overlooked when considering all the other quality elements that we covered.
16 – Table Games Offer Low Stakes
One reason why people play online casino games in the first place is that they don’t want to bet large amounts. And NetEnt is perfect for these players because many of their table games offer low stakes.
You can play low stakes blackjack for as little as $0.10 per hand. Other games offer minimum bets ranging from $0.25 to $1.
Of course, you can also play NetEnt’s high stakes games, where bets reach upwards of $1,000. But I’ve never seen the point in wagering so much on an online casino game.
17 – They Offer a Wide Range of Games
As discussed earlier, NetEnt got their start by producing high-quality slots that the gaming world loves. But they also offer a wide range of table and specialty games.
Here are the main categories that NetEnt covers:
- Baccarat – NetEnt offers both baccarat and punto banco.
- Bingo – You purchase strips of bingo cards (3 cards in each strip) for €2 each.
- Blackjack – Includes standard blackjack, classic blackjack, double exposure, and pontoon.
- Bonus Keno – Keno with an interesting joker feature.
- Golden Derby – Fun virtual racing game.
- Caribbean Stud – Jackpot is currently sitting at €147,139.
- Red Dog – NetEnt is one of the few operators offering this card game.
- Roulette – Variations of American, European, and French roulette.
- Scratch cards – A few different themed scratch cards.
- Slots – Wide range of classic and video slots.
- Video Poker – Over two dozen variations available.
18 – NetEnt Created Wild Wild West Slots
Wild West-themed slots are a dime a dozen in the gaming world. But NetEnt’s Wild Wild West: The Great Train Heist differs thanks to its comic book-style graphics and authentic sound effects.
My favorite thing about this game is the iconic characters. These include: a woman with a card/arrow in her hat; an eyepatch-wearing man; a guy with a clover tattooed on his neck; and a kid with a scar on his eye.
The background is another plus to this game since you’ll see a train rolling behind the reels, desert, and mountains. The music, which consists of western movie-style sound effects and whistling, is also really good.
This game could feature a better bonus round because pick-and-click features have been overdone.
But Wild Wild West: The Great Train Heist features enough multipliers and wild symbols to make up for the standard bonus round.
19 – NetEnt Has Paid Record Breaking Jackpots
Net Entertainment has paid out two record-breaking slots jackpots.
The first came in 2011 when a Norwegian student won €11,736,375.
The student had returned home after seeing a movie with his friends. And since he couldn’t sleep, he visited an online casino to use the free spins he’d received as a sports betting bonus.
The sleepless night continued after the young man hit an €11.7 million payout because he couldn’t calm down. He later discovered that his win set a Guinness World Record that would stand for a couple of years.
This jackpot record would be broken in 2013 when a Finnish player won €17,861,800 (around $24 million) on Mega Fortune.
This is another winner who chose to remain anonymous, only offering that he was a man in his 40s. He also told NetEnt that he “laughed and cried at the same time” upon winning the jackpot through Mega Fortune’s bonus round.
In 2015, Jon Heywood broke the Scandinavian man’s Guinness record by winning €17,879,645 on Microgaming’s Mega Moolah. But given how large some of NetEnt’s jackpots grow, it’s not impossible to see one of their winners retaking the crown at some point in the future.
20 – They Created Hall of Gods Slots
Speaking of jackpots, one of the greatest jackpots slots of all time is Hall of Gods.
Released in 2012, this game deals with Norse mythology and bears some resemblance to the Thor trilogy.
Characters that you’ll see on the reels include Freya, Idun, Loki, Odin, and Thor. This game also features a hydra (wild), ravens (scatter), and Thor’s Hamer (bonus).
The latter is the key to the bonus round, where you use the hammer to smash mirrors and reveal prizes. If you reveal three jackpot symbols on a max bet, you’ll win the Mega Jackpot.
The largest Mega win on Hall of Gods was a €7,820,888 jackpot in 2015. Another big win occurred in 2012 when a Swedish player won €7,673,975.
Beyond the jackpots, other qualities to like include the background graphics, old-style symbol graphics, and sweeping ocean sounds.
Hall of God’s atmosphere and graphics aren’t going to blow you away. But they’re more than adequate when combined with the massive jackpot.
21 – NetEnt Slots are Often Featured in Promotions
NetEnt slots are among the most popular to run in combination with signup bonuses and other promotions.
You’ll often see casinos give out free spins on Gonzo’s Quest or Starburst when you sign up and make a deposit.
Given that these free spin offers are worth upwards of 150 spins, it’s definitely worth taking advantage of these deals when you have the chance.
22 – They Created Mega Fortune Slots
Mega Fortune has come to be known as NetEnt’s flagship game thanks to its popularity and huge jackpots.
This game perfectly exemplifies everything you’d expect from a progressive jackpot game since it offers symbols of wealth and power.
Symbols include: a yacht (wild), champagne (scatter), bonus wheel (bonus), cognac, limousine, luxury watch, money clip, and cufflinks/letters.
Landing 3 or more bonus wheels takes you to the bonus round, where you have a chance to win the Mega Jackpot. This round features a concentric wheel, and the best prizes – including the top jackpot – are found in the inner circle.
Mega Fortune doesn’t have much special in the way of graphics, scenery, or overall atmosphere. Perhaps this is why NetEnt created a sequel called Mega Fortune Dreams.
The latter offers upgraded graphics and does a better job of making you feel like you’re on a yacht. The symbol graphics are especially good, with the diamond (scatter), diamond ring, champagne, and luxury watch looking excellent.
Mega Fortune Dreams also currently has a larger jackpot (€3,738,637) than its predecessor (€3,126,526). That said, I recommend you skip straight to the Dreams version – although Mega Fortune will always be a classic.
23 – NetEnt Created Aliens Slots
All of the slots we’ve covered up to this point revolve around huge jackpots. But Aliens is NetEnt’s greatest slot that doesn’t derive fame from a progressive jackpot.
Based on the same-titled 1986 film, this game stands out because it sees you progress through levels as you play.
The first level takes place outside a planetoid, where you investigate the surroundings and ensure your Alien Activity Meter is filled with multipliers.
The second level (a.k.a. The Encounter) takes you inside your ship, which has murderous aliens lurking around. The mission here is to shoot all of the aliens in between slots spins.
The third and final level (a.k.a. The Hive) gives you 5 re-spins for destroying the Queen Hive with a hand grenade.
What’s fun about the different levels is that you get to see various alien creatures on the reels, and watch animated scenes as you blast aliens. The graphics are also excellent, and you’ll see characters from the 20th Century Fox movie.
You don’t last over 20 years in the internet gaming world without doing something right. And NetEnt has done more than enough right thanks to their hit games, live casino games, high payback, and reputable operation.
Three things that no other gaming company can match include NetEnt’s slots payback (up to 99%), Rock Series, and stellar YouTube channel.
Other areas where NetEnt ranks at or near the top include their jackpots, live dealer casino, game design, longevity, number of licenses, and table game stakes.
This isn’t to say that other gaming companies can’t compare to NetEnt in certain categories. In fact, Microgaming is a pretty close rival to NetEnt.
But the latter shines in so many different departments that it’s hard not to declare them the best.